Students can gather data and collaborate on-line on the same document at the same time.
And I can control whether students are able to edit a document, or simply view the document and download the results.
I can even share the document with the world, if I so choose.
And when I tried this out in my class a couple of weeks ago, it worked really well!
Here's what we did:
- Before class, I set up the table for data entry.
- All my students went to www.google.com and signed up for a gmail account (if they didn't already have one).
- I clicked the Share tab and entered a list of my students' gmail addresses.
- Then, I clicked Invite Collaborators to send an e-mail to the students.
- The students clicked the link in their e-mail to access the spread-sheet.
- They entered their results in the spread sheet, simultaneously, as they worked on identifying their bacteria via blastn. This went on during and between class periods.
- Then in the next class, I used the Sort function to sort data, show them what happened, and discuss some of the issues related to data analysis and bioinformatics, for example:
- being a good citizen and entering your data in community databases (I had never realized before this fall that so many of the information-poor entries in GenBank are that way because of the people who entered the information so poorly!)
- consistent data entry (it's hard to analyze your data when all the entries describe the same thing differently)
- the work that you have to do to clean up your data before you can analyze it, like fixing names, making all the entries consistent.
Then, all the students downloaded data to their own computers for analysis and graphing. The students could have made some graphs in the Google document, but I wanted all the students to get practice. Second, I wanted to them to use PivotTables to analyze the results for the two different biomes (creek vs. forest) and that feature isn't available in Google Docs.
If you'd like to take a look at our results and see the table, I also published our data. You can find it at: JHU_bacteria_2004